Last year there were many updates to the Google algorithm; and these affected many brands and websites. Today, the Panda, Penguin, EMD, and other algorithms; not only improve Google search results; but also keep webmasters on their feet when it comes to maintaining the ranks and positions of their websites. I started tracking algorithm changes in search engines a few years back, and have recently come across many frustrated webmasters who have lost their website rankings due to algorithm changes and other issues. So in this blog post, I’ve made a list of resources that will help webmasters to stay updated and track Google algorithms; in order to improve their Search Engine Optimization practices and thus ensure a sound digital marketing strategy.
- Google Webmaster Central: This is the right page to keep a check on; if you want to keep learning about all of Google’s algorithms and updates. You can also find posts of Google’s employees like John Mueller, Justin Boyan and many others on this page. These will provide you with vital insights to plan your website branding and design as well as on-page optimizations.
- Inside Search: Here you will get detailed explanations about Google’s new updates. You can also check search quality highlights here.
- A Googler: This is an official Google Twitter profile for updates on algorithm updates like Panda, Penguin, and others. Keep a track of this profile for accurate, reliable, timely information.
- YouTube Google Webmasters: This is the page where you can get information and tips on improving the ranking of your site on Google search results; and incorporating the suggestions to help your website to increase the impact of your digital marketing strategy.
- Google Product Forum: If you have any problems or issues with Google and its search results, don’t hesitate to post them on the Google Product Forum. It is my experience that genuine doubts and issues are effectively addressed by Google employees on the forum as well as by other top level contributors to the forum.
These resources are must-reads as you begin tracking algorithm changes, but they’re definitely not the only ones that you need to check! You have to do research and stay updated even on the minor changes. Don’t worry if you miss out on some important updates because there are many search marketers in the industry who keep a close track of algorithm changes and share their observations. You can visit their twitter profiles and websites to see if there’s anything you missed out on.
These are some of the people and resources that I generally follow:
Following these experts will help you learn new things about search engines and their algorithm updates; and take the steps necessary to maintain the rankings of your websites inspite of updates and changes.
Do you carry out Search Engine Optimization in-house? Or have you hired a digital marketing agency for it? Do your digital marketing company professionals keep track of search engine algorithm updates and warn you beforehand regarding possible impacts on the website?
Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences in the comments!